Inviting patients to the portal
To see data in PKB, a user must register first. The registration process includes verifying the identity of the user i.e. that the email address belongs to the person who is supposed to have access to the records.
Creating records and populating them precedes inviting patients. Patients rightly expect to see their information when they sign-up to a patient portal! Once the records have been created and data feeds established, registrations should immediately follow. There are a large number of options here. We will work with your delivery team to ensure most of the following invitation opportunities are used by the Organisation.
Registering professionals as patients
It is highly effective and efficient to register professionals as patients. Identity verification for your staff is fast and easy, and a professional who has seen data about their health in PKB is the best advocate encouraging patients to also register.
Mass registration before hospital
For patients, mass registration is the best route to start identity verification - it is the fastest and cheapest way to get lots of patients onto PKB. So, it is the fastest way to get a return on your investment.
The most scalable registration process is using the verified email addresses of patients who previously verified their identity with a clinical institution. Using local GP email addresses is particularly effective - in the UK, 13.5 million patients (20% of the local population) have already registered for Patient Online.
Verified mobile phone numbers are the next most preferable option as they have a high uptake rate and are cheap:
Postal letter invites are slower than email or texts, and more costly, but are a proven mechanism to invite patients:
Mass registration with letters identity verification
Note that when mass-registering patients steps can be taken to exclude safeguarding patients.
Registering patients in hospital
About 25% of patients register before coming to hospital using automated mass registration methods. The remaining 75% need convincing during their hospital visit. The case is definitely worth making - if the patient is coming to hospital, their care is likely expensive and this visit unlikely to be their last.
Kiosks can allow automation, and also have a 25% registration rate. You can either configure your kiosk or ask PKB about its direct integration with the kiosk manufacturer:
Mass registration with kiosks identity verification
Face-to-face registration has the highest registration rate, above 70%. It is more time consuming but more effective as the patient responds to clinical requests. The signal from the institution that this is clinically beneficial is important to the patient. For many patients, the need to ask questions is why they did not register with the letter at home. For others, speaking with carers around the hospital bed is what convinces them they will have the support around them to understand their health.
Individual face-to-face registration and identity verification
Group face-to-face registration and identity verification
PKB allows patients to register themselves in a number of ways. This is a useful addition to the active methods above, not a replacement for them.
Default team login page in your organisation's web page
Custom login in your organisation's web page
NHS App configuration for organisations in England
MedMij PGO for organisations in the Netherlands
For professionals, single sign-on (SSO) with the internal electronic medical records system's credentials is the best route - it's easiest for the user, which drives usage, delivering a return on your investment in the shared care record.
This page describes in details how our APIs can automate SSO Single Sign-on
An example is the primary care record system EMIS: